Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympics Update

Michael Phelps has now won 7 Gold medals the last by 1/100th of a second. Over on DU there is a thread where somebody says we shouldn't praise him because he is a Republican. At what point does that shit stop? I don't care a flying fiesta about Swimming but I find what he's doing to be remarkable and fun to watch because he's doing something historical that we don't see but a few times in our life time. If he says something I find to be stupid about his political beliefs I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Right now I am just sitting in admiration of the Mans accomplishments. His politics be damned.

And a great quote from silver medalist Milorad cavic:

"I'm stoked with what happened," Cavic said. "I don't want to fight this. People will be bringing this up for years and saying you won that race. If we got to do this again, I would win it."

You should be stoked you lost by 1/100th of a second. In other words you basically swam the same time as a guy with 500 Gold medals. I would be thrilled as hell.

The USA Men's basketball team beat Greece Thursday and look very good doing it. The best game they have played in years. Greece beat them in the 2006 World Championships. Next up is Spain. Three good reasons to beat Spain.

1. they seem to have a real problem with the Chinese
2. They have Pau Gasoft on their team. (OK we have Kobe...but hey)
3. It's The United States. Still a damn great place despite the efforts of George and friends.

Speaking of George. You have all seen the pictures of him and the Womens beach volleyball team. I understand the arguments that they were embarrassing and he's not looking the least bit Presidential, But when has he ever in 8 years? It's not so much that he was clearly "impressed" with those women that bothers me. It's the fact that those pictures get out and the press says...nothing. Can you imagine the burning at the stake we would have had if that had been Bill Clinton? Good Lord.

And I know that nobody in the media dares to ask...What effect will those pictures have on John McCain? If the pictures were Clinton I guarandamntee you the media would be asking everyday what effect those pictures would have on Barack Obama.




No comments:

Total Pageviews