With San Diego losing to the Steelers 11-10 today, the Chargers can all but kiss their playoff hopes goodbye.
- LT's looking better: 18 carries for 54 yds & a TD isn't a whole lot to brag about, but remember, he is playing with a injured toe and he's not the explosive running back that set the NFL single-season record for most rushing TD's, but with time, he'll be back to full strength.
- Finally the defense came alive (at least thought the first three quarters) today.
- The Broncos beat the Falcons 24-20 today, now sitting atop a two-game lead in the AFC West, and San Diego needed a win to stay one game behind. Denver had to choke the rest of the way in order to clinch the title and the fourth seed in the playoffs.
- Philip Rivers, for lack of a better word, sucked in this game. Two pics and a safety coming in the 1st quarter.....come on, Philip, you're better than this.
- Receiving was abysmal - nuff said.
- No matter how this season ends, the 09 campaign will be a make-or-break year for both Norv Turner and Philip Rivers. San Diego doesn't make the playoffs next time round, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if on of them, or both, were run out of town on a rail. The person who should be worrying about his job right now is A.J. Smith. All his controversial moves - from firing Marty Schottenheimer, to replacing Drew Brees for Rivers - are coming full circle on him. If anyone should be worried about finding a new job, it's the Chargers GM. Plus, I respect both Rivers and Turner after what they did last season, and to an extent, I believe they take a lot of unnecessary blame from the fans.
The best the Bolts can do is play for next season and finish strong, preferably a 10-6 or 9-7 finish to end the regular season. Other than that, there's not much else the Chargers can do but hope that New England, Buffalo, Baltimore, and Indy slip up for the Wild-Card spots.
Late Edit From The Count:
That was a tough loss Jonathan. I really don't think Norval* is a head coach. He's had 3 shots now, even though only 2 legit shots since one was Oakland, but the guy just has not proven to me he can get it done.
* I have a program and Omaha World Herald from 1974 When Nebraska played and beat Oregon 61-7. Their Quarterback was listed as Norval Turner who has since shortened his name to Norv.
I am now convinced that the NFL should do away with giving division champions an automatic playoff spot and should just give the best 6 from each conference teams the spots. I say this because I don't know that the winner of the NFC North could win the Motor City Bowl. Seriously Ball State Vs Minnesota, Chicago or Green Bay? It probably be a hell of a game. I am only half joking. Minnesota Green bay and Chicago are all tied at 5-5 and the Detroit Lions at 0-10 may be the worst team in the History of the NFL. If it wasn't for the sorry assed Lions and each other who else would these losers beat? Today I listened to the Vikings game on Sirius until 2 and then Nebraska started their Basketball season against San Jose State so I shut off the Vikings and listened to that instead. Not that the results of Nebraska basketball and the Minnesota Vikings have been all that dissimilar through the years. But at least now Nebraska plays hard which I am not sure about the Vikings and today they won which I know I can't say about the Vikings.
Thankfully my Saturdays have been much brighter as of late. As long as that continues if the Vikings win that's icing and if they lose then that's cake.