Friday, November 30, 2007

The View From My Ass



WTF Another One So Soon?

Yeah I know I just wrote one of these but I was in the mood to write another one so I am writing another one. I should go over to the main board at Newshounds and see if there has been any more pearls of genius left by 08, Damail, Enrico or any of the other usual suspects. I may do that after I get done writing this...whatever it turns out to be.

A Few Things I Don't Understand About Other Liberals.

Despite what you may have heard from Lush Pimpballs Liberals are like snowflakes no two of us are a like. So it should come as no surprise that there are a few beliefs that some liberals have that baffle me and I would like to go through them.

1. The Belief in God or Religion Is A Sign of Weakness, Stupidity or Insanity.
Wrong. God and Religion get far too much blame for the things man does in their name. Wars are fought by man in the name of religion not because of it. Having a belief in God does not make one weak or goofy. Too many Liberals lump those with legitimate beliefs in God and Religion in with those who exploit God and Religion. I believe in a god for two reasons. 1. I have to believe there is a place better than earth or all hope for me is lost. If this is as good as it gets what is the point? 2. A belief in God has saved me from me. At my worst who knows what I would have done if not for the repercussions that I feared? I share the same hatred of hucksters, phonies and fundamentalist that most liberals have but far too often some liberals think a belief in God is a sign of ignorance or weakness. Start a thread on liberal message board admitting you believe in a higher power and see how long it takes you to be called stupid or weak.

2. You Can't Really Be A Liberal If You like...
I have listen to and loved classic Country music all of my life. Are there pro conservative country songs? yes but no more than any other kind of music so why is Country music a conservative thing again? Seems to me Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall and Willie Nelson are all liberals If you try to determine somebodies politics by their personal taste I would suggest to you that you will be wrong far more than you are right. There are Nascar fans who vote straight liberal tickets. Labeling somebody by their personal taste to me is no different than labeling them by their race. I know Conservatives do this too...but I don't give a flying fuck about them.

3. If You... You aren't a liberal.
This one really baffles me. Liberals are or should be about freedom of choice, it's what the very name means. yet it's liberals who keep telling me how evil I am for smoking cigars and eating hamburgers. Are either of these things all that healthy for me? No. but in the end it's my own choice. You can't hold peoples hands and force them to do what's right. Hell If I had to do everything the right way or the way that was good for me I would end it all. I really find it odd that the same people who fight to legalize marijuana (a cause I believe in) are the people who want to put calorie counts on menu's and making smoking illegal in your own home and keep smokers from employment. I am not about to hold a grudge against one who has gone vegetarian because of their principles, all I ask is that you don't judge me for not having the same principles as you. Seems to me being pro choice doesn't just work on abortions.

4. Stuff is bad!!!
I got to thinking about writing this after I read this thread on off topic at Newshounds...http://forum.newshounds.us/viewtopic.php?t=19131
Now I agree that like everything else in the world that capitalism, commercialization, the desire to want more and more if left unchecked can be bad things. But these things in themselves are not bad things. The well-meaning writer of this post wrote...


What the fuck is wrong with people??? Is this what we're all about???

yeah, I know... rhetorical question.

Then I think what is our obsession with "owning" things? It's been said we never really own anything which is obviously true.

My answer is YES it is what we are all about and there is nothing wrong with that. If not for our desire to want why would we bother going to work? Unless he wrote this at a library or a friends house I have to assume that the computer he wrote this message on is a "thing" he owns. And it probably brings great pleasure to him. It would seem to me there is a really easy answer for the person who thinks " owning things" is bad...don't own anything. Move to the woods and become the unibomber. To me that's a worse life than the desire to own a nice TV and having a Taco Bell and McDonalds down the street.

Stop sweating the small shit and prioritize.
I have always said Liberals get very little done because they fight too many battles and most of those battles serve no real purpose. In their desire to save the oak and the whale while stopping starvation, obesity, sweat shops, meat eating and tobacco smoking, they get nothing accomplished while real issues like illegal wars go all but ignored. About the time liberals get something accomplished somebody tips a cow and they are off on another battle ignoring the old one. Figure out what are the top priorities and work to solve it and make it better. Stop trying to fight 500 little battles at once and send the troops to fight the big battles. Bush, his cronies and his wars are the real enemies not a medium well double quarter pounder with cheese and a La Gloria Cubana.

I guess that's what I wanted to say. The desire to make the world a safer place is a noble one and should be congratulated but the desire to make the world a better place should be an individual battle. What makes it better for me doesn't make it better for you and vice-versa.


KTF

Count istvan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Count, I think a lot of what you say makes a lot of sense. As a group, Liberals should probably spend more time celebrating our diversity than trying to tell one another what we should/should not stand for. Is it appropriate on the whole to strive for a society that places less importance on material things? Yes. That doesn't mean that my knitting machine is OK but XYZ's flat screen TV or ABC's riding lawnmower is NOT, by some kind of arbitrary ideological default. We tout "to each his own," so we might as well practice it, too.

There's a sense in which we play into the neo-con game by trying to look more monolithic than we are. We should just collectively laugh back at the lockstep right when they try to paint us all as whatever stereotype du jour it's to their advantage to push: anti-Christian, anti-business, unpatriotic, whatever the meme of choice.

At the end of the day we're a whole pantry of ingredients, and they're a case of Spaghetti-Os. I know where I would rather cook...

Total Pageviews