Friday, November 11, 2011

Turn out the lights, the party's over...

I could write a summary on why my San Diego Chargers lost 24-17 tonight to the archival Oakland Raiders and make the case that there's still a chance for them in the AFC Worst West. I could bitch that Ed Hoculi is still one of the worst active referees in the game (though he did call a somewhat fair game tonight), and I could put my aim at Vincent Jackson for not going up to get that ball Phillip Rivers launched into the endzone late in the 4th Quarter, but frankly, i'm just tired at this point.
I'm tired of wondering why Rivers - who's been excellent the last three seasons - is leading the league in interceptions.
I'm tired of hearing Norv Turner's "aw shucks, we'll get 'em next time" press conferences.
I'm tired of hearing how the team is going to get better.
The harsh truth was made clear tonight for me: this simply isn't a good team - an elite team - anymore.
The window, thanks to injuries, poor drafting in previous years, and a slow regression even since A.J. Smith fired Marty Schottenheimer in 2007 and brought in Turner that same year, is closed for my Chargers.
Now is the time for San Diego to to make a fundamental decision: are they going to go the way of the Dan Foust-era - great offensive air attack, little to no defense, and no championships to show for it, or will Dean Spanos come to his senses, see that his team is on a fast-tack downhill and start to make the necessary changes to salvage what still can be a championship football organization?

No comments:

Total Pageviews